A year ago, Jim Seels of A.S.A.P. Publishing approached me with a proposal for a collection of my stories and essays. He’s done this kind of thing before with other mystery authors—T. Jefferson Parker, Margaret Coel, Craig Johnson, to name a few—and I’ve contributed a bit of commentary to some of these. The collections Jim creates are unique in many ways, not the least of which is the artwork that illustrates each story. The drawings, done by the incredibly talented Phil Parks, capture the essence of a piece, its energy and its heart, in dramatic black and white. I agreed to Jim’s proposal, and the work began for all of us.
I rounded up and sent to Jim copies of most the stories and essays I’ve published, plus one that I wrote many years ago, absolutely loved but never tried to sell, and another brand new short story written especially for this collection. Jim managed to track down a few pieces I published long ago and was sure were lost. And Phil drew one astonishing piece of artwork after another.
It’s been a labor of love over the past year, and the result, 10,000 Lakes: Tales from the North Country, is available soon in very limited editions. (If interested, contact Jim Seels directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve a copy.)
Here is a little more information about the book:
- This is a large-format book, with a color wrap-around dust jacket. The book is 240 pages in length.
- Includes 15 short stories, 2 of which are original to this anthology, along with 5 non-fiction essays.
- Introduction by Steve Hamilton; afterword by Libby Fischer Hellmann.
- 55 full page illustrations plus a wrap-around dust jacket by award winning illustrator Phil Parks.
- All copies are signed by all of the contributors: William Kent Krueger, Steve Hamilton, Libby Fischer Hellmann, and Phil Parks.
- The book is limited to 300 copies.
- The price is $45 plus $5 shipping for the 1st book plus $1 each for the subsequent copies.
- Projected release will be in September 2016.
- A Collector’s Edition, limited to 25 copies, specially bound and in a presentation tray with 2 of the original illustrations, will also be available. Contact Jim Seels at email@example.com for more information.
Here is a sampling of Phil Parks’ amazing artwork: